Sunday, February 22, 2009

Twitter? Really?

By: T.R. Slyder, TRSlyder@yahoo.com


I haven't posted in a long time and thank you to the people that asked me about when I'd be posting again (Sarah, and Kevin by name).

I haven't had as much spare time as I had previously, but posts will come. And I promise a lot of videos from my when I watched midget wrestling with my friends.

But what I wanted to mention/ask in my first post back was, what the eff is up with Twitter? I just don't see that site ever taking off (moreso than it has already).

So it's a forum where everyone comments, but in less than 140 characters? So if another 9/11 were to (God forbid) happen, I could log on to Twitter to get Kevien Federline's reaction AND Shaquille O'neal's?? Wow. That sounds necessary. Why go read the New York Times, Chicago Tribune or DrudgeReport, when I can read a terse comment from a guy in Abilene, TX. Thank the lord.

It isn't that I am 1,000% positive that the model has 0% hope of success, but once webcams become more prevelent, if YouTube comes out with a 45 second-limit Vlog application to rival Twitter, how would Twitter compete? What if Facebook did the same thing? Big problem for Twitter. It's like if I start a company selling X and open a few shops selling X. Once Wal-Mart sells a passibly knock0ff of X, my company is done. If what Twitter is selling is people's real-time opinions, which I think they are, they are doomed. There are a lot of approximate avenues for that already, they just need to add a Twitter-like feature to their site. Isn't Facebook, and YouTube already an established, if extended, Twitter?

Hasn't Twitter reached it's ceiling already? How huge can that site really get? If you really wanted someone's commentary on a given topic, can't you just go that someone's own webpage?

To completely undermine everything I just typed- I'll admit I'm not a Twitter member, and not fully familiar with its product. But I have heard a TON about it recently, and I also heard a ton about Flooze.com, Pets.com and the Howard the Duck movie.

I'll go on the record as saying I'm the only guy to admit that I just don't see Twitter succeeding. I said it.

No comments: