Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Where Awesome Happens Holiday Cause: Fighting Childhood Obesity

By: T.R. Slyder, TRSlyder@yahoo.com


As a youth I was lucky to have avoided childhood obesity. My parents did a great job of providing healthy meals and teaching us kids about nutrition. It also helps I was interested in playing sports and staying physically active, but I realize that my parents had a much bigger hand in my childhood fitness than I did. Sadly, it seems that nowadays it seems that fewer and fewer kids are as lucky as I was in that regard. I frequently see children in public that, as a kid, would have been considered chubby, but today just appear normal.

Countless Psychological studies link childhood obesity to everything from low self-esteem and decreased life-expectancy to earning less money as adults. Since I primarily blame the parents for childhood obesity, and given how ignoring nutrition and exercise can manifest itself later in life, I am determined to fight childhood obesity.

When it comes to fixing such a widespread problem, everyone has an opinion. Some people feel that the best way to do this would be to adopt Switzerland's banning of marketing to children, others would prefer to see health classes taught at the elementary school level, and those are just two of the myriad of possibilities.

The Where Awesome Happens strategy? I will let these videos speak for my favorite way to fight childhood obesity.




















You'll just have to pretend this guy is an obese kid, cuz this is really hilarious.



No comments: