Friday, September 4, 2009

Yes, I am Picking Rachel in the Woodward


By: T.R. Slyder, TRSlyder@yahoo.com, AndyDisco on Twitter


It's not that I think she's a cinch to win the race, or that I am predicting she'll win by 4+ lengths, but her numerical dominance over the field makes it difficult to confidently select any of her foes- all of which seem to be more or less evenly (over)matched. If someone told me they were going to bet on Macho Again or Cool Coal Man with their own money, I wouldn't try to talk them out of it, but I just don't envision Calvin Borel allowing Rachel to get boxed or pinned in, and I also can't see Calvin or Rachel panicking at any part of the race and running in a style that is not of their choosing.

Much like a power forward with a jump shot, a 6'8'' shooting guard, or a 6'5'' wide receive that runs a 4.2 second 40-yeard dash- Rachel's style and talent create a lot of matchup problems for her opponents. Despite being faster than speedsters, she sits right off of them while Calvin measures how much gas they have left in the tank, once Calvin puts the (metaphorical) spurs to her, the race ends. When Calvin tells her to go, she passes the tiring speed horses and gets a jump on the closers. In terms of race positioning, she's right off the pace and ahead of the closers- that stalking style is not a rarity in racing, but her talent is. She's a better speed horse than the speed horses, and a better closer than the closers.

All horses are vulnerable in every race, even great ones. But the great horses that are most vulnerable are the horses that need the lead, and the deep closers. Rachel's tactical speed means she is neither.

In the Forego I like Kodiak Kowboy and Peace Chant.




I'm T.R. Slyder, and that's how you Tangueray.

No comments: