Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Two Ideas Regarding "The List" of 104 Players who Failed the Anonymous 2003 Baseball Drug Test

By: T.R. Slyder, TRSlyder@yahoo.com, AndyDisco on Twitter


1. I think bloggers should speculate about all of the 104 players. They should get some friends together, get a case of beer, just like they would for a fantasy draft, check out the 2003 rosters for every MLB team, and then start filling in the 104 slots.

Sure its conjecture and that isn't fair to anyone. You know what else wasn't fair? Players doing drugs and Selig effectively lying to the public and allowing this to happen, all while profiting from the juiced "ball" era. Baseball conned us out of our dollars, so us spectators have earned the right to speculate.

Worst case scenario? Any innocent player is accused and demands that the list be released in order to clear his name.

Sure it's no better than gossip/conjecture/yellow journalism but is the journalistic integrity any worse than the integrity of the game a decade ago? Let the punishment fit the crime. I think it would be cool if a bunch of reputable blogs were then aggregated and spit out how frequently players appeared on lists, like you see with %s of fantasy leagues taking certain players. Maybe Sosa, McGwire, and Brett Boone were on 100% of the lists, but Benito Santiago on only 95%. I'd be interested in those stats.


2. I hope no one thinks that anything ground moving will come from the list. Even the list comprises the 104 most shocking names, they will all issue tepid non-denials along the lines of, "I just didn't read my GNC labels as closely as I should have. Plus I took that supplement for only a week, anyway." I'll save the players and their attorneys some time and offer my own, pre-fab edition they are welcome to use.

"I'm sorry my name was on the list and the news had to come out this way. While I will not deny that my name was rightfully on the list of those who failed 'a drug test', I am here to vehement deny that I EVER purchsed, obtained, or used any steroid. In 2003 I was having difficulty over a nagging (insert muscle or joint name here) that I never reported to the media because I thought it would go away. When it didn't, I visited my local GNC to see if maybe something there could help me. Since there wasn't much of drug testing policy then, I didn't read the label of the supplements as thoroughly as I should have. My failure to do so has let down my family, myself, my teammates, my front office and the fans. For that I apologize. While it may not have been a steroid, I still cheated the integrity of the game I love so much, and owe so much. I used that supplement for 3 weeks and after realizing it did not help with my injury, I discontinued using it. The test was administered in that small, 3 week window, thus resulting in a failed test and my name being added to the list.

*cover mike and lean toward their attorney to hear what he is whispering*

Thank you for your understanding guys. I will not be fielding any questions regarding this matter. Thanks guys!"








I'm T.R. Slyder, and that's how you Tangueray.

No comments: