Saturday, June 13, 2009

I'm Sick of Abe Lincoln


By: T.R. Slyder, TRSlyder@yahoo.com



Ever since Barack Obama started talking about Abe every 11 seconds, no one has shut up about him. Furthering the incessant talk about him is that 2009 is the 200th year since his birth, and I live in the Land of Lincoln. In the past 12 months, Smithsonian Magazine has written so many articles about him, that I seriously considered writing them a letter to complain about the Lincoln saturation.

But the worst was still to come.

Today Abraham Lincoln threw out the first pitch at the Cubs game to promote the Abraham Lincoln-themed summer reading program at the Chicago Public Library.

Up yours, Honest Abe. Or more to the point- up yours, people who keep talking about him. Enough already.

And in the spirit of fairness, I just talked about him, so up mine too. But at least I was complaining about him.

No comments: